This unit covers the basic requirements and knowledge to establish and maintain a backyard beehive and produce honey. Each segment will educate about the basic equipment required and general hive, maintenance and understanding as well as understanding the basics of the bee colony, and finally preparing you for selling your honey on a small scale basis from a handful of hives.
By the end of this unit you should have the basic knowledge to be able to establish and maintain a backyard beehive and small scale honey production. This unit should be considered in addition to reading about establishing a beehive and other areas that this unit does not cover including, creaming honey, splitting hives and the management of queen cells including breeding Queen eggs.
This unit covers:
- Understand the basic equipment required to manage a beehive and the use of equipment
- How to inspect your hive year round
- How to maintain your hive year round
- How to remove honey from your hive and produce bottled honey
- Understanding the basics of the bee colony
- Understanding how to store and prepare honey for sale on a small scale
- Other areas of importance when considering selling your honey and moving to increase hive numbers
NB: It is important to check your local council requirements surrounding the possession
of an active beehive in suburban areas. Rules differ between councils and states.